Monday, February 23, 2015

Mondays Are For Fresh Starts: Healthy Steel Cut Oatmeal


Morning friends! 

Being stuck in the house due to the weather the past week has definitely given me cabin fever. However, it was beautiful to look at and perfect for hot cocoa and blanket snuggles! 

Luckily I was able to make a trip out to the grocery store before the weather got bad. Also our friends gave us a special surprise of steel cut oats from the Amish and fresh eggs from their chickens, Nugget & Asian Zing! 

I took advantage of not having to be anywhere this week and had lots of cooking time. I've been wanting to post the recipes I've made this week but just haven't gotten everything together. So I thought I'd post a simple healthy breakfast recipe for steel cut oats. 


Servings:
2-3 bowls

Ingredients:
1 cup steel cut oats
3 cups water/almond milk
1 tbs honey
1/2 a peach
1/2 an apple
1 banana
1-2 tbs chia seeds (optional)



I added the oats and water/almond milk into a pot and let it come to a boil. For this I used 1 cup almond milk and 2 cups of water just because I was running low on almond milk but you can also use regular milk if you prefer. 

Once it came to a boil I covered it and turned it down to a simmer. They take about 20 min to cook but if you don't have a lot of time in the morning you can also add the oats and your liquid into a pot, bring it to a boil then turn the stove off, cover it, and leave it over night. In the morning it will all be ready!


While that was cooking, I let the chia seeds soak in water. I prefer them that way.



When I cook the oats in the morning I like to stir them a bit every 5 minutes or so. Plus I just get so excited to seek a peak and see them cooking! 


After that I cut up the fruit to add on top. I always add fruit to my oatmeal, it's my favorite part! This is also optional and totally up to you what you add on top. You can also eat it plain but you're definitely missing out on a whole lot of deliciousness if you do. 




Then I just mixed in my chia seeds, which again are totally optional. They are however, a great source of calcium, iron, potassium, and vitamin C, and they are high in fiber, protein, omega 3's, and antioxidants. 




After dishing up my portion I added some honey to sweeten it a bit before adding the fruit. 



I love seeing it all come together at the end! It was delicious! Definitely one of my favorite breakfasts! 

Hope this was helpful or just an enjoyable read! I'd love to know what your favorite breakfast is! Let me know in the comments. 

Happy Monday friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment